Great buildings rely upon both cutting-edge technology and materials that stand up to the test of time, so the A+Product Awards celebrate both. Here we present the categories that speak to the design solutions that matter most to architects, including their most trusted products and the newest industry innovations. These are the materials bringing today’s buildings to life. Products can be entered into multiple categories, but must be available to market by January 1, 2019 to qualify.
The A+Product Awards
- Building Equipment & Systems new– Products relating to the inner workings of a building, including but not limited to HVAC systems, elevators, escalators, ducts, photovoltaics and M&E systems.
- Smart Building & Technology – Products with integrated technological elements, including smart devices. Entries can include smart home systems, lighting and sensors, AV equipment, home security, energy systems and building envelope technologies.
- Sustainable Design Products new– Products that are among the most sustainable in their field. This includes but is not limited to products that minimize or actively help reduce carbon emissions, highly energy efficient products, products that facilitate passive heating and cooling, products with a sustainable “cradle to grave” lifecycle and products that utilize locally sourced materials.
- Software & Digital Tools – Digital tools designed to aid the workflow of architects, including both desktop and mobile apps. Software can include BIM and CAD applications, rendering packages, mobile apps and project management tools. Hardware can include laptop and desktop workstations, 3D printers, drones, VR/AR equipment and robotics.
- Hardware new– Hardware can include laptop and desktop workstations, 3D printers, drones, VR/AR equipment, drones, robotics and more.
- Acoustics – All types of architectural acoustic panels and sound insulating products, including freestanding partitions, baffles, panels integrated into walls and ceilings, furniture with sound-absorbing properties, and decorative art-based panels.
- Carpet – Modular carpet tile and plank, broadloom, area rugs and hybrid woven products are all acceptable.
- Ceilings – Includes whole ceiling systems, ceiling tiles and clouds for either residential or commercial settings.
- Ceramics new– All finishes comprising ceramics, including small and large format tiles and slabs. Interior and exterior products for use on floors, walls, façades and roofs are eligible.
- Fabric & Textiles – Upholstery and drapery textiles, window shade fabric, outdoor and awning textiles, tensile structure textiles and room/space division textiles (such as hanging felt panels and screens).
- Flooring – Wood or engineered wood, LVT, resilient, terrazzo, regular and large-format tile with appropriate slip resistance for flooring applications, floor pavers, quartz composite, natural or engineered stone, metal.
- Hard Surfacing – All finishes that utilize hard materials, including solid surface products, ceramics, stone, metal, wood and plastics.
- Walls & Wall Coverings – Wall coverings may include wallpaper, panels and panel systems and acoustical coverings
- Glass & Glazing -All architectural, low-e, birdsafe and switchable/dynamic glass, as well as framing systems, supports and fittings for curtain walls, structural glazing, storefronts and interior walls.
- Building Envelopes & Cladding – Structural and non-structural exterior wall products, cladding and rainscreen panels made from any material, including but not limited to metal, wood, stone, masonry, concrete, terracotta, fiber cement and plastics.
- Roofing – All manner of roofing materials including tiles, shingles, solar and waterproofing systems.
- Accessories – Products that lend functional and decorative details to an architectural environment. Includes bath and tabletop accessories, soft goods such as pillows and throws, table and bed linens, stemware and dishware, wall art, frames and other decorative objects.
- Contract Furniture & Systems – Commercial grade furniture for use in corporate, hospitality and public settings, including tables, workplace/office systems, kiosks, lecterns, case goods, signage, mobile carts, shelves and other storage.
- Contract Seating – Commercial grade seating for use in corporate, hospitality and public settings, including chairs, sofas, stools, workplace/office chairs and benches for both interior and exterior uses.
- Outdoor Furniture – Commercial site furniture from benches and arbors to playground structures, and residential or contract furniture that is rated for outdoor use such as deck chairs, umbrellas, dining tables, cabanas, outdoor kitchens and fire pits.
- Residential Furniture – Non-commercial grade furniture suited to residential settings, including tables, case goods, beds, dining pieces, storage, sofas, lounge and club chairs, dining chairs, benches and stools.
- Residential Seating – Non-commercial grade seating suited to residential settings, including dining chairs, sofas, lounge and club chairs, benches and stools.
Kitchen & Bath
- Appliances – Appliances including major household appliances such as refrigerators and ovens as well as small countertop appliances like coffee makers and water filters.
- Fixtures & Fittings – Fixtures and fittings such as sink faucets and taps, tub spouts, faucet and tub filler handles and controls; sanitaryware including toilets, urinals, sinks and bathtubs; built-in elements such as shower bases and doors/enclosures. (Please submit lavatory sink cabinets into the Millwork & Cabinetry category.)
- Millwork & Cabinetry – All built-in cabinetry for kitchen and bath settings including vanity cabinets, cook island cabinets and medicine/mirrored cabinets. This category also includes entire kitchen furniture systems.
- Plumbing & Drainage – All products relating to plumbing, include piping, valves, pumps, products related to pools and fountains, products related to sewage, water collection, drainage and storage systems, and gray water recycling systems.
- Contract Lighting – Commercial interior and exterior lighting that enhances the architectural experience, functionality and comfort. These can include recessed lighting, linear and other types of suspension luminaires, troffers, LED or OLED panels, cove and plaster-in lighting, tracks, cans/cylinders, sconces and other wall fixtures, step lights, path and street lamps, landscape spots, in-ground lights and utility such as motion-activated parking structure lights. Lamping is also acceptable in this category.
- Residential Lighting – Decorative luminaires of any scale, from distinctive wall sconces and table lamps to chandeliers and pendant clusters. The diffusers, shades, housing or composition of these lights should be design objects that add to the built project.
- Doors & Door Hardware – Openings for entrance and egress including doors of all styles and door hardware including latches, handles, locks, hinges and pivots.
- Sun Control – All shading systems and products, including both passive and active systems for regulating sunlight and solar heat gain. Exterior and interior products are eligible, including fixed and adjustable louvers, fins, baguettes, blinds and canopies.
- Windows & Skylights – Openings including windows, roof windows/hatches and skylights (both fixed and operable); window and skylight hardware including latches, handles, locks, cranks, hinges and pivots. Window covering and shading hardware is also accepted in this category; however, please submit window-shade textiles into the Fabric & Textiles category.
- Outdoor Products & Materials – All products designed for outdoor environments, including both functional and decorative elements. Products can feature in courtyards, rooftop gardens, public and private parks and other outdoor public spaces, and include benches, planters, lighting, fountains, bins and signage.