The Typology, Plus & Product Categories
The A+ Awards consist of three categories. The Typology Categories celebrate traditional building types. The Plus Categories recognize the link between global issues and the structures that society builds. The Product categories acknowledge that symbiosis between products and building.
THE TYPOLOGY CATEGORIES
Architects do a lot of things—signage, branding, presentations, conferences—but at the core of our profession, we make buildings and spaces. The Typology Awards honor this core function. Categories broadly include residential, office, commercial, transportation, cultural, institutional, landscape, and student projects. To be recognized amongst the best is an incredible achievement worthy of praise—and perhaps a bit of bragging. Entries must be built projects completed within the past three years (since Sept 2011).
- NEW! Apartment
- Private House XS <1,000 sq ft
- Private House M 1000-3000 sq ft
- Private House L >3000 sq ft
- Multi Unit Housing Low Rise (1-4 Floors)
- Multi Unit Housing Mid Rise (5-15 Floors)
- Multi Unit Housing High Rise (16+ Floors)
- Residential Interiors
- Office Building Low Rise (1-4 Floors)
- Office Building Mid Rise (5-15 Floors)
- Office Building High Rise (16+ Floors)
- Office Interiors
- NEW! Shopping Center
- Pop-ups & Temporary
- NEW! Mixed Use
- NEW! Factory Warehouse
Sports & Recreation
- Hotels & Resorts
- Bars & Nightclubs
- Health Care & Wellness
- NEW! Stadium / Arena
- Recreation Centers
- Hall / Theater
- Religious Buildings & Memorials
Landscape & Planning
- NEW! Kindergartens
- Primary & High Schools
- Higher Education & Research Facilities
- Government & Municipal Buildings
- Police & Fire Stations
- Public Park
- Private Garden
- NEW! Masterplan
- Bus & Train Stations
- Parking Structures
- NEW! Highways & Bridges
back to top
THE PLUS CATEGORIES
Architecture is everywhere and touches nearly every person on earth every day. The Plus Awards are designed to celebrate architecture’s relevancy through categories that highlight the issues confronting the world. Entries must be built projects completed within the past three years (since Sept 2011).
- Architecture +Art - Collaborations with artists and buildings made for specific art installations are just some of the ways that architecture interfaces with the artists and their creations. Submit projects that engage art and the built environment.
- Architecture +Branding - It did not start with the Apple store, but this innovative retail environment has changed consumer brand's perception of the power of architecture. Submit projects that deal with the built environment and branded experiences in innovative ways. Only a project's relationship to branding will be judged in this category.
- Architecture +Collaboration - Architecture is an inherently collaborative field, but some projects push this remarkable attribute to new heights by reaching out of our own field to professions far and wide. Submit projects that are the result of new types of collaborations - only the collaborative element and its result in the project will be evaluated for judging this category.
- Architecture +Communication - From the cellphones that we carry with us to social media that we access daily, communication technology is changing the way we live and occupy spaces. Submit projects that take on the broad phenomenon of communication. Only the submission's approach to communication will be considered in this category.
- NEW! Architecture +Community - emphasizes the critical role of design in negotiating individual and collaborative tastes, and considering political, social, and cultural stakeholders in buildings. Submit projects where the surrounding community was key in the design process.
- Architecture +Engineering - Behind every great piece of architecture is superb engineering. Collaboration between the two fields create buildings that achieve the seemingly impossible. Submit projects that push the boundaries of architecture through engineering.
- Architecture +Learning - Great experiments are underway that are changing the way we learn outside of formal education. Submit projects that respond to changing means of exchanging knowledge.
- Architecture +Light - Projects that deploy light in a substantive and innovative manner. Only the use of light and its effects will be considered in judging.
- Architecture +Living Small- The world is urbanizing and as a consequence cities are looking for new models of density. Submit projects that take on the idea of life within a small footprint. The judges will be looking for innovation within this area for judging.
- NEW! Architecture +Low Cost Housing - These days, more and more people are moving to dense metropolitan areas, seeking the amenities and opportunities found in large cities. But as city populations increase, so does the cost of living, leaving low-income residents with fewer choices for affordable housing. Submit built projects that address these issues and offer affordable housing opportunities for low-income populations.
- NEW! Architecture +Materials - There is no architecture without materiality and architects are always looking for new types of materials, and new uses of existing ones. Submit projects that have a particularly innovative use of material for this category. Only the issue of materiality will be judged in this category.
- Architecture +Photography & Video - The architectural photographer is more important than ever thanks to social media and ease of sharing images. A building no longer exists on a single physical site but inhabits the internet as photographs and videos. This category honors the craft of capturing a building. Submit images or videos (or both) that capture a single architectural project.
Architecture +Preservation - Preservation of existing buildings - of all typologies - requires a unique architectural disposition and a specialized skill-set. Submit projects that preserve and enhance the existing built environment.
- NEW! Architecture +Rendering - Architectural rendering is crucial in illustrating concepts to clients and stakeholders. Submit renderings of built or unbuilt projects that were used to illustrate a new concept and design. Only the visual representation of the project will be considered for judging. Unbuilt projects are eligible.
- Architecture +Self Initiated Projects - Online crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter are changing the traditional role of the architect by putting the designer into the driver's seat. Submit projects that were incepted by architects and designers and demonstrate how the architecture and design fields are impacting the larger discourse around design. Only the entrepreneurial aspect of entries will be considered for judging in this category.
- Architecture +Sustainability - Projects that tackle the issue of sustainability. Only the project's sustainability performance will be judged in this category.
- Architecture +Urban Transformation - Cities across the globe are revitalizing abandoned infrastructure, creating new public spaces out of neglected areas and building new ways for the world's citizens to live more densely within existing urban fabric. Submit projects that highlight this trend - architectural projects that spur new occupation and lively places. Only the transformative aspect of projects will be eligible for this category.
- Architecture +Workspace - The way we work is changing with the advent of shared work spaces, open offices, live/work setups and much more. Submit projects that take on the concept of 'new workspace'. Only the project's innovative design of the workspace will be considered for judging.
back to top
NEW! THE PRODUCT CATEGORIES
Every architect and designer knows it takes spectacular products and materials to make their designs a reality. Following on the tremendous success of last year's A+ Product Awards, we're proud to present 33 categories that speak to design solutions that matter most to architects. Products can be entered into multiple categories, but must be available on the open market in 2014.
- Accessories - all - Products that lend functional and decorative details to a finished environment. Includes accessories for living, office, outdoor, kitchen/table, bathroom, as well as mail, signage, and wayfinding.
- Doors - Products that create and structure both flow and circulation.
- Façades - Products used in facade design to create a building's unique identity.
- Hardware - Knobs, pulls, hooks, hinges, and other durable, functional hardware essential to any project.
- Roof Systems - Products used in the construction or protection of roofing
- Structural Systems - Structural systems and framing products that include precast, wood, steel, glass, concrete, timber components.
- Windows - All window products, including casement, fixed, sash, sliding and specialty applications.
- Appliances - Residential - All types of innovative appliances used in residential settings - dishwashers, stoves, ovens, washer/dryer, coffee makers and more.
- Appliances - Commercial - Commercial appliances, including walk-in freezers, washer/dryers, ice makers, and ranges.
- Elevators, Escalators & Lifts - Elevators, escalators, lifts, dumbwaiters and other equipment used in transporting people and objects.
- Ceilings - All products used in ceiling finishes - acoustical paneling, ceiling tiles, textural applications, hung panel systems.
- Flooring - Hard - From poured applications to porcelain tiles to wooden flooring, these are today's top-tier hard flooring products.
- Flooring - Soft - Today's best soft flooring finishes, ranging from area rugs and carpeting to specialty applications.
- Paints & Coatings - Paints and coatings used to apply color, texture and protection.
- Wall Coverings - From wallpaper to textured paneling to sound-absorbing treatments, we're looking for the best in today's wall coverings.
- Furniture - Residential - Products used to furnish beautiful and functional living environments.
- Furniture - Contract - Contract furniture designed for corporate, healthcare, hospitality, education, and commercial applications.
- Furniture - Office Systems - Office systems that speak to today's demand for productivity and collaboration in the workspace.
- Furniture - Outdoor - Built to interface with the natural environment, this is today's best in outdoor furniture.
- Seating - Contract - Designed for healthcare, education, hospitality, corporate, and commercial applications, this is today's best in contract seating.
- Seating - Residential - Seating products designed to deliver comfort and utility within a residential space.
- Architectural Lighting - Lighting fixtures and systems used to address the purposes of a building or space.
- Decorative Lighting - Lighting fixtures and systems used for decorative applications.
- Lighting Accessories - Products that make lighting applications more useful, versatile, or attractive - shades, connection technology, diffusers.
- Glass - Architectural and decorative glass materials used in interior and exterior applications.
- Masonry - Reliable brick and concrete products used in the construction of a building or space.
- Metal - Metal products ranging from steel, aluminum, bronze, copper, and brass to new materials.
- Stone - From granite to marble, travertine to volcanic stone, slate to terrazzo, we're looking for today's best stone materials.
- Wood - Wood and lumber products that speak to architects' decorative and functional designs.
- Textiles - Woven fabric, leathers and other natural and synthetic materials used in flooring, wall coverings, upholstery, and drapery.
- Bath - Cabinetry - Bathroom cabinetry products that serve storage and design needs.
- Bath - Fixtures & Fittings - Faucets, sinks, tubs and other fixtures and fittings used in designing beautiful and functional bathrooms.
- Kitchen - Cabinetry - Kitchen cabinetry products and components that serve culinary storage and functional design needs.
- Kitchen - Fixtures & Fittings - Sinks, faucets, drains, and other fixtures and fittings used in designing an attractive and high-performance kitchen.
back to top