The Typology, Plus & Product Categories
The A+Awards consist of three categories. The Typology Categories celebrate traditional building types. The Plus Categories recognize the link between global issues and the structures that society builds. The Product categories acknowledge that symbiosis between products and building.
THE TYPOLOGY CATEGORIES
Architects do a lot of things—signage,
branding, presentations, conferences—but
at the core of our profession, we make
buildings and spaces. The Typology Awards
honor this core function. To be recognized
amongst the best is an incredible
achievement worthy of praise—and perhaps
a bit of bragging. Entries must be built or
conceptualized within the past three years.
- Private House XS <1,000 sq ft
- Private House M 1000-3000 sq ft
- Private House L >3000-5000 sq ft
- Private House XL >5000 sq ft
- Multi Unit Housing Low Rise (1-4 Floors)
- Multi Unit Housing Mid Rise (5-15 Floors)
- Multi Unit Housing High Rise (16+ Floors)
- Residential Interiors
- NEW! Unbuilt Residential
- Office Building Low Rise (1-4 Floors)
- Office Building Mid Rise (5-15 Floors)
- Office Building High Rise (16+ Floors)
- Office Interiors
- Shopping Center
- Pop-ups & Temporary
- Mixed Use
- Factory Warehouse
- NEW! Unbuilt Commercial
Sports & Recreation
- Hotels & Resorts
- Bars & Nightclubs
- Health Care & Wellness
- NEW! Unbuilt Hospitality
- Stadium / Arena
- Recreation Centers
- NEW! Unbuilt Sports & Recreation
- Hall / Theater
- Religious Buildings & Memorials
- NEW! Unbuilt Cultural
Landscape & Planning
- Primary & High Schools
- Higher Education & Research Facilities
- Government & Municipal Buildings and Police & Fire Stations
- NEW! Unbuilt Institutional
- Public Park
- Private Garden
- NEW! Unbuilt Masterplan
- Bus & Train Stations
- Parking Structures
- Highways & Bridges
- NEW! Marinas & Ports
- NEW! Unbuilt Transportation
back to top
THE PLUS CATEGORIES
Architecture touches everyone at multiple
scales. At the largest scale, The Plus
Awards celebrate how architecture
is capable of responding to global
issues, shifts in technology and our
evolving society—these are the Concept
Categories. At the smallest scale,
architecture is tactile; nearly everyone in
the world touches architecture every day.
The Detail Category celebrates innovative
features and material applications. Entries
must be built within the last three years.
- Architecture +Art - Collaborations with artists and buildings made for specific art installations are just some of the ways that architecture interfaces with the artists and their creations. Submit projects that engage art and the built environment.
- Architecture +Branding - It did not start with the Apple store, but this innovative retail environment has changed consumer brand's perception of the power of architecture. Submit projects that deal with the built environment and branded experiences in innovative ways. Only a project's relationship to branding will be judged in this category.
- Architecture +Collaboration - Architecture is an inherently collaborative field, but some projects push this remarkable attribute to new heights by reaching out of our own field to professions far and wide. Submit projects that are the result of new types of collaborations - only the collaborative element and its result in the project will be evaluated for judging this category.
- NEW! Architecture +Color - While architects are notorious for their monochrome palettes, this category celebrates those who dare to use color within their designs to bring new light to their projects. Submit projects that utilize color in new and innovative ways. Only a project's relationship to the color scheme will be judged in this category.
- Architecture +Communication - From the cellphones that we carry with us to social media that we access daily, communication technology is changing the way we live and occupy spaces. Submit projects that take on the broad phenomenon of communication. Only the submission's approach to communication will be considered in this category.
- Architecture +Community - emphasizes the critical role of design in negotiating individual and collaborative tastes, and considering political, social, and cultural stakeholders in buildings. Submit projects where the surrounding community was key in the design process.
- NEW! Architecture +3D Printing - By now the thought of a 3D printed structure like a home or an apartment building doesn’t surprise us. As the technology grows, more architects are experimenting with it’s raw but evolving potential. Submit projects that utilize 3D printing for any component of the building.
- Architecture +Engineering - Behind every great piece of architecture is superb engineering. Collaboration between the two fields create buildings that achieve the seemingly impossible. Submit projects that push the boundaries of architecture through engineering.
- NEW! Architecture +Humanitarianism - Millions of refugees across the globe, due to global conflict or natural phenomena, are forced to leave their homes and live in low-quality, temporary housing. This category celebrates those projects and architects that use their skills and passions to bring vital hope to communities in need.
- Architecture +Learning - Great experiments are underway that are changing the way we learn outside of formal education. Submit projects that respond to changing means of exchanging knowledge.
- Architecture +Light - Projects that deploy light in a substantive and innovative manner. Only the use of light and its effects will be considered in judging.
- Architecture +Living Small- The world is urbanizing and as a consequence cities are looking for new models of density. Submit projects that take on the idea of life within a small footprint. The judges will be looking for innovation within this area for judging.
- Architecture +Low Cost Housing - These days, more and more people are moving to dense metropolitan areas, seeking the amenities and opportunities found in large cities. But as city populations increase, so does the cost of living, leaving low-income residents with fewer choices for affordable housing. Submit built projects that address these issues and offer affordable housing opportunities for low-income populations.
- NEW! Architecture +Models - Architects have always used models to illustrate their design concepts and translate ideas into 3D forms. From the tiniest maquettes to the most epic dioramas, this category highlights the versatility of models as a medium to convey complex design ideas. Submit models that communicate the essence of a project.
- NEW! Architecture +Prefab - Prefabricated design is not a new concept but has recently seen a resurgence in popularity. This category celebrates projects that are manufactured off-site, in advance, and then shipped and assembled on site.
- NEW! Architecture +Landscape - Landscape and architecture have always been closely intertwined. This category celebrates innovative designs that create natural environments. Projects can include courtyards, rooftop gardens, public and private parks and other outdoor public green spaces.
- Architecture +Photography & Video - The architectural photographer is more important than ever thanks to social media and ease of sharing images. A building no longer exists on a single physical site but inhabits the internet as photographs and videos. This category honors the craft of capturing a building. Submit images or videos (or both) that capture a single architectural project.
Architecture +Preservation - Preservation of existing buildings - of all typologies - requires a unique architectural disposition and a specialized skill-set. Submit projects that preserve and enhance the existing built environment.
- Architecture +Rendering - Architectural rendering is crucial in illustrating concepts to clients and stakeholders. Submit renderings of built or unbuilt projects that were used to illustrate a new concept and design. Only the visual representation of the project will be considered for judging. Unbuilt projects are eligible.
- NEW! Architecture +Renovation - For decades, architects and interior designers have been involved in renovating, preserving and adapting existing buildings to accommodate new use, and effectively recycling an outdated building. Submit projects that reuse existing infrastructure or buildings for new uses. Only the renovation aspect of the project will be considered in this category.
- Architecture +Self Initiated Projects - Online crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter are changing the traditional role of the architect by putting the designer into the driver's seat. Submit projects that were incepted by architects and designers and demonstrate how the architecture and design fields are impacting the larger discourse around design. Only the entrepreneurial aspect of entries will be considered for judging in this category.
- Architecture +Sustainability - Projects that tackle the issue of sustainability. Only the project's sustainability performance will be judged in this category.
- NEW! Architecture +Technology - This category celebrates amazing building designs that are changing the architectural landscape through their use and application of new technologies. Submit projects that utilize new technologies in innovative ways and allow for designs that were previously inconceivable.
- Architecture +Urban Transformation - Cities across the globe are revitalizing abandoned infrastructure, creating new public spaces out of neglected areas and building new ways for the world's citizens to live more densely within existing urban fabric. Submit projects that highlight this trend - architectural projects that spur new occupation and lively places. Only the transformative aspect of projects will be eligible for this category.
- Architecture +Workspace - The way we work is changing with the advent of shared work spaces, open offices, live/work setups and much more. Submit projects that take on the concept of 'new workspace'. Only the project's innovative design of the workspace will be considered for judging.
THE PRODUCT CATEGORIES
Every architect and designer knows it
takes spectacular products and materials
to make their designs a reality. Here we
present the categories that speak to design
solutions that matter most to architects.
Products can be entered into multiple
categories, but must be available to the
market by September 2015 to qualify.
- Accessories - all - Products that lend functional and decorative details to a finished environment. Includes accessories for living, office, outdoor, kitchen/table, bathroom, as well as mail, signage, and wayfinding.
- Access - Products that create and structure both flow and circulation.
- Façades & Glazing - Products used in facade design to create a building's unique identity.
- Hardware - Knobs, pulls, hooks, hinges, and other durable, functional hardware essential to any project.
- Roof & Structural Systems - Products used in the construction or protection of roofing
- Windows - All window products, including casement, fixed, sash, sliding and specialty applications.
- Appliances - All types of innovative appliances used in residential or commercial settings - dishwashers, stoves, ovens, washer/dryer, coffee makers, walk-in freezers, washer/dryers, ice makers, ranges. and more.
- Elevators, Escalators & Lifts - Elevators, escalators, lifts, dumbwaiters and other equipment used in transporting people and objects.
- Ceilings - All products used in ceiling finishes - acoustical paneling, ceiling tiles, textural applications, hung panel systems.
- Flooring - Hard - From poured applications to porcelain tiles to wooden flooring, these are today's top-tier hard flooring products.
- Flooring - Soft - Today's best soft flooring finishes, ranging from area rugs and carpeting to specialty applications.
- Wall Coverings - From wallpaper to textured paneling to sound-absorbing treatments, we're looking for the best in today's wall coverings.
- Furniture - Residential - Products used to furnish beautiful and functional living environments.
- Furniture - Contract - Contract furniture designed for corporate, healthcare, hospitality, education, and commercial applications.
- Furniture - Office Systems - Office systems that speak to today's demand for productivity and collaboration in the workspace.
- Furniture - Outdoor - Built to interface with the natural environment, this is today's best in outdoor furniture.
- Seating - Contract - Designed for healthcare, education, hospitality, corporate, and commercial applications, this is today's best in contract seating.
- Seating - Residential - Seating products designed to deliver comfort and utility within a residential space.
- Architectural Lighting - Lighting fixtures and systems used to address the purposes of a building or space.
- Decorative Lighting - Lighting fixtures and systems used for decorative applications.
- Glass - Architectural and decorative glass materials used in interior and exterior applications.
- Masonry - Reliable brick and concrete products used in the construction of a building or space.
- Metal - Metal products ranging from steel, aluminum, bronze, copper, and brass to new materials.
- Stone & Concrete - From granite to marble, travertine to volcanic stone, slate to terrazzo, we're looking for today's best stone and concrete materials.
- Wood - Wood and lumber products that speak to architects' decorative and functional designs.
- Textiles - Woven fabric, leathers and other natural and synthetic materials used in flooring, wall coverings, upholstery, and drapery.
- Bath - Cabinetry - Bathroom cabinetry products that serve storage and design needs.
- Bath - Fixtures & Fittings - Faucets, sinks, tubs and other fixtures and fittings used in designing beautiful and functional bathrooms.
- Kitchen - Cabinetry - Kitchen cabinetry products and components that serve culinary storage and functional design needs.
- Kitchen - Fixtures & Fittings - Sinks, faucets, drains, and other fixtures and fittings used in designing an attractive and high-performance kitchen.
- NEW! Apps - Architects rely on on technology to do their jobs. Submit applications, both desktop and mobile based, that serve the architectural and design profession.
back to top